Jumping rope has long been part of the training routine for professional boxers, but as more people realize the potential jumping rope has to help them get in shape, jump ropes have now become an essential piece of workout equipment.
The benefits of jumping rope are endless, from blasting calories, making your body more toned, and even increasing your lung capacity. Jumping rope helps you to engage the muscles in both the upper and lower parts of your body and is a simple exercise that pretty much anyone can do.
You don’t have to be a pro athlete to make use of a jump rope, it can play a useful role no matter what your fitness goals. Plus, a jump rope is one of the most convenient and portable training tools you can have at your disposal, and you don’t need to traipse to a gym to make use of one.
But just like with any piece of training equipment, you’ll want to buy the best jump rope for you. After all, it’s harder to reach your fitness goals if you’re working with subpar tools. Although it is such a simple piece of equipment, you still want a high-quality jump rope to really reap the benefits – without breaking the bank.
Below, you’ll find six of the best jump ropes on the market right now, as well as a handy buyer’s guide detailing what factors to take into account when buying a jump rope. Without further ado, let’s jump right in! (Sorry)
Best Jump Rope
XYLsports Jump Rope
This jump rope delivers on three main aspects of a good jump rope. It’s durable, easy to use, and well-made. Plus, the foam grips make it comfortable to hold and with 9 feet and 8 inches of adjustable rope, this rope is extra long and its adjustable feature makes it suitable for adults up to 7 ft tall. To adjust the rope, just remove the cap and feed the rope through the handle. What’s more, this rope also comes with a lifetime warranty and can be replaced for free if needed.
- 9 ft 8 PVC rope.
- Comfortable foam padded handles.
- Adjustable length.
- Durable 5 mm diameter rope.
- 100% money-back guarantee.
- Some customers reported that the rope isn’t heavy enough for speed jumping.
DEGOL Skipping Rope
This skipping rope from DEGOL promises high-quality performance without breaking the bank. The memory foam handles are extremely comfortable and lightweight, and the rope is designed to reduce bending or twisting, giving you greater control when jumping, thanks to the ball bearing system. Like the XYLsports jump rope above, this rope also has an adjustable length of 9ft, and can accommodate users up to 6 ft tall.
This rope can bear heavy weight and, and the braided steel wire rope coated with PVC makes this rope extra durable. We’re sure you’ll be working out with it for years to come.
- Ball bearing system prevents bending, twisting or winding and ensures stable and relaxed rotation.
- A great choice for boxing training, cross-training, and MMA training.
- PVC embedded wire rope that is both smooth and durable, designed to not crack or break.
- The lightweight ergonomic handles are coated with 6-inch soft EVA memory foam to provide a strong grip and extra comfort.
- Adjustable 9 ft rope can be quickly and easily adjusted according to your height, and can accommodate adults up to 6 ft tall.
- Despite the ergonomic handles providing strong grip, some customers have reported their grip becoming loose when exercising.
Crossrope Get Lean Weighted Jump Rope Set
Designed to help you reach your fitness goals, this weighted jump rope from Crossrope is adjustable and easy to use. Unlike some ropes, this Crossrope Get Lean set features both a light and a heavy rope giving you more versatility and options as you work out, and you can easily and quickly switch ropes to match the intensity of your workout. You can read our full review of Crossrope here.
Plus, when you buy the Crossrope Get Lean Weighted Jump Rose Seat you’ll have access to the company’s free app that is packed with exercise tutorials, guided workouts, and fitness challenges.
However, this is the least budget-friendly jump rope on this list. But it does give you more options in terms of size, with sizes ranging from 8 ft to 9ft 6 in, and is suitable for users up to 6 ft 9 in tall.
- Weighted jump rope system helps you achieve your fitness goals and lose weight.
- Workout app gives you access to fast and effective workouts. The app is highly rated and available on Android and iOS.
- The fast-clip connection system lets you alternate between light and heavy ropes for a more customized and varied workout.
- The durable, weighted roped is perfect for beginners and doesn’t coil or tangle.
- Not the most budget-friendly jump rope.
BeMaxx Jump Rope
Another excellent rope for beginners, the BeMaxx jump rope comes equipped with all you need to get started, including two adjustable wire cables, spare parts, a carrying bag, and access to the company’s free online training guide.
But as well as all these great extras, the BeMaxx jump rope also has anti-slip handles and vertical ball bearings that allow you to achieve smooth and fast rotations. The maximum length of the rope is a staggering 10 ft 3 in and is totally adjustable, so no matter what your height you’re able to use this jump rope.
- The non-kinking 10.3ft wire cable is suitable for all and can be adjusted to any height.
- The ergonomic anti-slip handles help you maintain the perfect grip no matter how intense your workout.
- The unique, right-angle vertical stainless-steel ball bearing allows for ultra-fast and easy spinning and a lot more rotations than average jump ropes.
- Excellent for working out across a variety of sports and activities, from bodybuilding, boxing, and MMA to personal fitness training at home or outdoors.
- A 24/7 support team that can support you with any inquiries or queries you have, and help you if you’re not 100% satisfied with the product.
- Some customers have reported that the rope doesn’t hold up well on concrete and is better used for jumping rope on gym or rubber flooring.
Wastou Speed Jumping Rope
Suitable for the whole family, the Wastou Speed jumping rope can be adjusted to accommodate a range of heights. It has a generous maximum length of 9 ft 8 in, and can be used by adults up to 7 ft tall. But what gives the Wastou Speed jumping rope the edge over other jumping ropes is that you don’t have to cut the cord, rather you can make the rope longer or shorter by using the provided hex key.
What’s more, the Wastou Speed jumping rope also has non-slip handles for extra strong grip and is made with a steel wire to make it extra durable. The Dual Speed bearing design makes the handle rotations consistent and smooth, without worrying about tangling or twisting yourself up in the rope! The handles are also made of a sturdy aluminum material that is lightweight and firm and takes the pressure off your arms. The rope is also coated with a silicon material for extra protection and is great for use on a flat surface.
Plus, this rope is available in four metallic colors: black, blue, gold, and pink!
- Built-in dual bearings that allow 360° free rotation and for you to jump at smooth, fast speeds without tripping over.
- Adjustable jump rope for adults and children and can be used for adults up to 7 ft tall. For taller people, there is spare rope that can be adjusted with the use of a screwdriver.
- The built-in steel wire is durable and won’t break, and is coated in silicon. This improves not only durability but fluency too, reducing the likelihood of the rope tangling and coiling.
- Non-slip handle makes for safer jumping. The hollow aluminum design is lightweight and firm and provides excellent grip.
- Available in four metallic colors.
- Some customers have reported that the color of the rope can stain your skin.
Kuject Skipping Rope
Our last pick is probably something you’ve never considered before… a digital jump rope. Yes, they do exist! In particular, they exist in the form of this Kuject skipping rope. This high-tech jump rope is a truly modern piece of workout equipment, with a digital counter on the handle that lets you track calories, the duration of your workout, and the number of jumps.
It also comes with built-in ball bearings that protect the cord from twisting and winding during your workout. It also ensures fast and stable rotation. The Antiskid Grain and S Shape handles keep you comfortable while jumping rope, and the rope itself is totally adjustable, able to accommodate users up to 7 ft tall.
However, you will need three AAA batteries for the digital counter to work.
- The smart digital counter records the number of jumps, as well as how many calories you burn. It also has a timer alarm, turns off automatically and has date memory.
- The adjustable length rope can be accommodated to fit many people.
- The Antiskid Grain and S shape handle provides extra comfort while jumping rope.
- The built-in, high-quality ball bearings prevent bending, twisting, or winding and ensure fast and stable rotation.
- Some customers reported some difficulty in closing the battery holder.
- Needs batteries in order to operate the digital counter.
When looking for the best jump rope that fits your needs, there are a few factors to consider. Let’s take a look at some of them below.
Length: It’s important to check that the length of the rope is suitable for your height. Most ropes are adjustable to accommodate a wide range of heights and multiple users, and can be adjusted without cutting off the ends.
Weight: Unweighted jump ropes are better for speed, while weighted jump ropes provide extra resistance to build upper body strength.
Ease of use: What makes jump ropes so appealing is their ease of use, and how you can use one straight out of the box. Yes, your timing and rhythm will come with time, but you can use them pretty much straight away! But what truly makes a jump rope easy to use is how comfortable the handles feel in your hand, how flexible the rope is, if it rotates cleanly on the handle, and if it doesn’t tangle.
Versatility: There are so many workouts you can do using the unassuming jump rope, not just the standard motion that first comes to mind. But whether you’re doing double under, crossing the rope, or another variation, it’s important that the rope is able to keep up with you on every turn, and if it’s able to move along with you on every turn then it’s a pretty versatile jump rope.
Durability: When working out outdoors on a concrete patio area, it’s important that your jump rope is durable and able to withstand the hits it’s going to take on the hard ground. Some ropes will naturally start to wear away from the relentless bashing, so if your workouts include you working out outside, or even inside on a hard floor, then it’s important to go for a jump rope that won’t snap, or wear down so much that it’ll break altogether.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the proper jump rope technique?
While jump rope is a super easy piece of workout equipment to use, the right technique is still important to achieve the most effective cardio results.
It’s helpful to think of a jump rope like a pogo stick by keeping your body in a straight line but your muscles relaxed. This is so you can easily absorb the jump and be ready for the next. To help with the impact, bend your knees slightly and jump on the balls of your feet.
Good posture is also important, so stand tall with your shoulders back. Where you focus your attention is also important, and looking out at the horizon is very helpful. Once you look at your feet, your form will fall apart, and this is when you’re most likely to get your feet tangled up!
We all know how beneficial music can be to keep us focused, motivated, and in the zone while working out. This is the same during a jump rope workout. Jump to your favorite song, give yourself a one-minute rest, then repeat the process whilst listening to the workout playlist of your choice.
But if you’re new to jump rope, go at it for 10 seconds and then rest for 20 seconds to ease yourself in. As you gain more experience, increase the jumping time and decrease the resting time.
Can you get a six-pack from jumping rope?
Yes, you can! In fact, it is believed that you can achieve a six-pack quicker when jumping rope than you can by doing crunches. Jumping rope is an excellent cardiovascular exercise that uses your whole body.
It can help you burn a considerable amount of calories, strengthen your core and quads, and stabilize your pelvis. Jumping rope for 15 minutes helps you to burn around 250-300 calories. Plus, thanks to the ‘Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption’ phenomenon, you can actually burn even more calories after you’ve finished working out, meaning you can actually burn around 350-400 calories in total.
But what are the most effective jump rope exercises for getting a six-pack?
Alternate movements: Usually when you jump rope you land on both feet once, but with this variation you land on your left foot and then your right foot with each rotation.
Crisscross: With every jump, cross and uncross your skipping rope. You may fall on your bottom but don’t worry! Practice will soon make perfect.
Double jumps: This variation is a bit tricky, as the idea with this workout is to jump rope so fast that you pass the rope under your feet twice before you land.
High knees: Skip normally with this one, but when you jump, bring your knees close to your chest. To do this, you’ll need to add more pressure when you jump.
One foot jumps: Pretty simple and one you may have done on the playground as a kid, all you need to do is jump on one foot!
Two-by-two: For this variation, jump twice on one foot and then repeat on your other foot. Keep switching until you get tired.
Jumping rope comes with so many health benefits that help you burn calories, build strength, improve coordination and so much more to help you reach your fitness goals. Jump rope is such a simple and unassuming piece of workout equipment, and with so many available it’s easy to just pick the first one you see, but there are actually a lot of factors to take into account, such as height, durability, and adjustable length.
We hope that our above picks and our buyer’s guide have helped you find the best jump rope for you!
Looking for more than a jump rope to anchor your home gym? Our current, favorite smart home gyms are Tonal, Tempo and Mirror, and our fitness experts have reviewed them all!